This is like the classical cheesecake but savory, with the base made with manchego or parmesan cheese and coverage based on sardines in olive oil. I like to make this cake for those meals where everyone has to take one dish or when we have guests at home, but is also perfect for a picnic in the woods.
My bigger girl just loves picnics, so I promised her we would make one soon. Probably I’ll make this cheesecake for that picnic, or maybe I prepare another one which is pretty much the same but the coverage is made with gazpacho soup, delicious! As soon as I make it I’ll show you here.
I got it from a fantastic recipe book, Cocinar con Thermomix, from Gabriela Llamas, but I’m afraid you won’t find it in English. If you can read Spanish, you shoul really try to find one copy.
- 200g of crackers
- 80gr of butter
- 50g toasted almonds (I had them raw, so the toasted in the oven a few minutes)
- 50gr grated manchego or parmesan cheese.
- Coverage :
- 2 large cans of sardines in olive oil
- 2 bags of neutral gelatin (or 1 bag of powder neutral gelatine)
- 200g cream cheese
- 600gr chicken broth (If you use it packed, try to choose one without preservatives)
- 1 teaspoon dried mint (or tarragon, thyme or any herb you prefer)
- freshly ground pepper
- marine salt
- juice of half a lemon
- In a food processor or in the Thermomix if you have it, pulverize the crackers with cheese and almonds, 10-15 seconds at maximum speed if you use the Thermomix. (If you do not have food processor, you can use the mortar for almonds and crush the crackers putting them in a plastic bag and using a wooden spoon or a wooden rolling pin, quite rough but fun!
- Add the chopped butter and blend again until a thin batter. (If you follow the rustic method mix it by hand)
- Get a removable round oven tray and cover it with baking paper. Put the cracker base on the bottom and press with a spoon to get it even. Put in a preheated oven at 200 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Soak the gelatine sheets or the gelatine powder in 2 cups of cold broth. Heat the remaining broth without allowing it to boil, 3 minutes, varoma temperature in Thermomix -
- Pour the mint, the dissolved gelatin and the cold broth where it was dissolved and stir. Check there are lumps left or blend again.
- Add the drained cans of sardines, cream cheese, lemon juice and pepper and whisk until smooth, speed 8-10 20-30 seconds.
- Pour over crust and leave in the fridge a few hours until set (or 1 hour in the freezer if you 're in a hurry).
- 58% fat, 25% carbs and 17%proteins.