As a child my favorite food was, for a long time, roast chicken, but I had to eat it with my hands, otherwise it didn´t taste so good. Do children today still eat chicken with hands, or was that only in the 80´s?
This chicken is easy as pie. The potatoes and sweet potatoes are rich, but if you want to keep it simple, do it just with the basic ingredients, no onion, potato or sweet potato, it´s also delicious. A chicken, a lemon and a beer, that’s all you need to make this dish that tastes to me of Sundays and Mom´s meals.
- 1 whole chicken clean, better if it´s organic
- 1 lemon
- 1 or 2 cans of beer
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into strips.
- 3 potatoes
- 3 sweet potatoes
- extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven and cover tray with baking paper. Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels -this will give crispy skin-. Fill it with salt, pepper and the lemon, previously pinched several times with a sharp knife. We leave at room temperature while preparing the other ingredients, this way it will roast more evenly .
- Wash potatoes and sweet potatoes well since we will be cooking them with skin. I am very lazy, I always do the potatoes with skin, but you can also peel them, of course. We cut them into thin slices, half a centimeter thick.
- We lay the potatoes, sweet potatoes and onions on the baking tray and toss well with salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Rub the chicken with salt, pepper and oil and place on the tray on top of the vegetables. Put in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius (about 350F) for one hour. After 15 minutes - or when golden brown skin - add the beer. From time to time check to see how it goes, and if it is dry you can add some more beer. Let the chicken sit for some minutes before carving.
2. In that case, it will be easier to collect the sauce from the tray once you´ve taken the chicken out. This sauce is good just like that, but you can also poor into a pan, heat un and add a teaspoon of cornstarch stirring for a few minutes until thickened.
3. 44% carbs, 30% fat, 26% protein