You can not imagine how delicious these patties are. I could eat 50 in a row. Or more.
Also I love the fact that quinoa and sweet potatoes, apart from delicious, are also really healthy, superfoods they call them now, so these patties are one of those dishes that have all the important qualities for me: easy, delicious, healthy and my girls love them. And even more, can be prepared ahead and kept in the fridge.
I followed her recipe step by step, but here is hers, if you prefer to go straight to the source!
- - 2 medium sized sweet potatoes (we should get about 400gr baked sweet potatoes, or 2 cups),
- - 2 cups cooked quinoa
- - 1 onion finely diced
- - 3 cloves of crushed garlic
- - 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme (more to garnish)
- - 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- - sea salt
- - fresh cracked pepper
- - coconut oil
- - Prepare quinoa according to package instructions. I cook it as follows:
- First rinse and drain well, then I toast it the pan that I'll be using for boiling it, but without the water, just the quinoa over the heat, taking care not to burn it (doing this we take away a slight bitter taste the quinoa might have). Once toasted, we put apart the quinoa in a bowl and add 1 cup of water to the pan (about 270ml) over high heat. When it starts to boil we add salt and the quinoa. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, taking care not to leave uncooked, since it could be slightly indigestible but also not to overcook, so that the quinoa keeps all of its nutrients.
- - Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit degrees, pierce sweet potatoes with fork and bake for 45 minutes or until soft. Remove skins, mash with a fork to remove all chunks and place in large mixing bowl.
- - In a sauté pan combine onions, olive oil, pinch of sea salt and cook over medium-low heat until onions are soft. Add garlic and cook a little more stirring well. Add thyme at the end and mix well.
- - Add onions, quinoa, ¼ teaspoon sea salt (more to taste), a bit of fresh cracked pepper to large mixing bowl with sweet potatoes and stir until well combined.
- - Form mixture into golf ball size ball, flatten into a patty, and cook in a little coconut oil on a non stick pan for approximately 2 minutes on each side until brown and crisp.