First time I tried ceviche I wasn´t very sure what to think. I was with my husband in Costa Rica, having lunch in a ramshackle hut in the middle of the jungle, and we both had the same odd feeling. Three days later we very sure we loved ceviche!
A couple of years after that we spent two weeks in a tiny island from Honduras and our daily menu was always the same, ceviche. Some days we ordered prawn ceviche and others conch ceviche, but we didn´t want to make any further variations!
Now that my traveling is not that exotic anymore, I love to prepare ceviche all year round, even though it´s more of a summer meal, and that way I believe I have flown to the Caribbean.
Lastly, I want to tell you that the two ingredients that, to my taste add the real touch to this dish are the sweet potato and the corn nuts. I tried them on ceviche for the first time at a friend´s house. She is from Perú and prepares the BEST ceviche I have ever tried so, please, add them to your ceviche, this recipe isn´t the same without all of its ingredients.
- 750 g raw prawns or king prawns, peeled and cut into 3 or 4 pieces each.
- 1 onion (ideally red) cut into thin strips
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 or 4 juice limes or lemons
- 1 good bunch coriander, leaves separated and finely chopped. Save some leaves for decorating.
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and beaten
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 handful of big corn nuts
- Peel the prawns, put them in a bowl and cover with the lemon juice and add the garlic. Cover and leave for at least 2 hours in refrigerator.
- Scrub the sweet potato under cold water, prick several times with a fork and bake with the skin, in preheated oven for 45 minutes, 180 degrees Celsiuis (350 degrees Farenheit). After the 30 first minutes have run, start checking them since we don´t want them overcooked. Pierce with a pointy knife, when it comes out easily they are cooked. I like it better in the oven, but we can also prepare it in the microwave: place the sweet potato in a microwave safe dish, add half a cup of water to the containes and cook, full power for 7 minutes, turn them over and we add 3-5 more minutes. Let cool, peel and cut into cubes.
- Cut the onion and put it in a bowl with water and a big handful of salt. After 10 minutes, drain it and rinse away the remaining salt.
- In a bowl, put the prawns and lemon juice they were marinating in and remove garlic. Add the onion, coriander, a splash of olive oil and salt. Mix well ad top with the sweet potato, cilantro leaves and corn nuts. Serve chilled, accompanied by crackers.
1. This recipe can take many variations, you can try adding avocado cubes, sweet corn… Let me know so that I can copy you back!.
2. It´s very important that you only add corn nuts to the ceviche you are going to eat straight away, and also to do it in the very last moment. Otherwise the corn nuts get soaked in the juices and you loose the crunchy bite.