A warm soup for grabbing the bowl with both hands. If you are lucky to be next to a fireplace then that´s heaven, but only with the soup I’ve warmed up my afternoon
I love creamy soups because they are easy, healthy, conforting and can be done with just a couple of ingredients. I prepare this one for daily meals and is perfect for children because the taste is very soft. It is also great choice when having guests, because it can be prepared in advance and heated it at the last moment. You can serve it in large bowls like I did on the pictures, or in little cups and serve as an appetizer.
- 1 bunch asparagus , about 250g
- 1 jar of white asparagus, drained 200g , need not be neither too thick nor good
- 2 or 3 chopped green onions or 1 large onion , chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- (For garnish) : quail eggs, 1 per diner
- We wash the asparagus. One by one, we grab the asparagus with one hand at each end and we crack it. They break by themselves trough the right place, so we can discard the woody end and cut the rest into three or four pieces. We save some of the nicest tips for topping at the end. [Br]
- TRADITIONAL COOKING :
- In a saucepan we heat 4 tablespoons olive oil and sauté the onion until very soft and transparent. We add green asparagus and sauté a little. Add white asparagus along with some broth from the can -keep the rest- , cover with milk -about 1 litre- and cook over low heat for 20 minutes . We put the hand blender inside the saucepan and blend well . If necessary, we can add some more liquid from the asparagus or some more milk, until we get the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. If there are threads from the asparagus left, we can use the food mill . [Br]
- THERMOMIX COOKING :
- We put 50 gr oil and heat 5 minutes, varoma temperature , speed 1. Add the chives and cook 7 minutes, varoma temperature, speed 1. We add green asparagus and heat 5 minutes, varoma, speed 1. Add the white asparagus along with some broth from the can -keep the rest-. Cover with milk -about 1 litre- and heat 20 minutes varoma, speed 1. Beat a few minutes from 7 to 9 speed . If necessary, we can add some more liquid from the asparagus or some more milk, until we get the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
(This is the part that you can skip for daily meals, but it is the part that will make your dish look special to your guests).
- In a saucepan heat unsalted water, with a dash of vinegar to a boil. Crack one quail egg very carefully inside a large spoon, turn away the pan from the heat and introduce the spoon gently into the water to release the little egg . We cover one or two minutes until the white is cooked but runny yolk .
- Take it out with a slotted spoon and can cool it in a bowl with cold water (for me it´s too much fuss, so I've been putting them directly in the bowls on top of the soups) .
- We put the same saucepan back in the stove and we repeat with the other eggs. If you are very skilled, you can make more than one egg at a time, I didn´t even think of it!.
- In a pan put half teaspoon of oil and fry the asparagus tips.
- Serve each soup topped with an egg, the asparagus tips and some freshly ground pepper .
2. The quail eggs are cholesterol free, so they are aa very healthy option. I still have to find somewhere where they seel them ecological.
3. For those of you watching your diet, this soup has 40 % carbos, 42 % fat and 18 % protein.